The Two concepts
The two concepts that I based my final design on are; 1) "Grow right out of the soil wherever sand and gravel abound", Frank Lloyd Wright, and 2) A synthesis with nature, a respect for the landscape. Which I combined to make, 'A synthesis with nature and a respect for the landscape results in the building growing out of the ground". Some might argue that these two concepts are more closely related to Frank Lloyd Wright, I believe that these points also apply for Aires Mateus. In Aires Mateus' 'Vila Utopia', the building gives the observer the illusion of literally growing out of the ground. It is also displaying a clear respect for the landscape by molding itself to the setting, despite its completely alien look. Frank Lloyd wright takes a more camouflaged approach to designing his buildings. But in saying that, he allows his buildings to dominate the landscape and almost seem like assimilated outsiders. This is clearly seen in his famous building, Falling water. The materials used in Wrights buildings are immediately juxtaposed by the shape of his complex. Taking all of the above into account, I tried to design a building that not only grew out of the ground but was also alien enough to seem abnormal in its environment.
No comments:
Post a Comment